Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mood whiplash.

You see that post below this one? It seems all nice and normal and happy, right?

Just now, my parents came in and started lecturing talking to me about course selection and volunteering and blah blah, and my dad was all "NO YOU CAN'T TAKE AP PSYCHOLOGY IN GRADE 12 BECAUSE IT WILL BRING DOWN YOUR AVERAGE AND YOU CAN ALWAYS STUDY THAT WHEN YOU GET TO UNIVERSITY" and my mom was all "YOU HAVE TO APPLY TO A BILLION DIFFERENT VOLUNTEERING PROGRAMS SO YOU CAN GET A BILLION HOURS AND UNIVERSITIES WILL BE FLOCKING TO YOU WITH ACCEPTANCE LETTERS AND EVERYTHING WILL BE RIGHT IN THE WORLD" and I got all frazzled and then I read Jason's not-so-happy post just now and now I'm in a bit of a disheartened mood.

tl;dr -- presently I'm not nearly as cheerful (or normal, or whatever you want to call it) as I was a few hours ago. Not nearly.

One of the things I used to love to do back in grade seven and eight was sift through quote sites and collect my favourite quotes on a word document, and pull that up whenever I was in a particularly disheartened/sentimental/nostalgic/idealistic mood. I hadn't touched that document for more than a few months now—maybe even a year, I'm not sure—but since I wasn't feeling all that chipper I found it in my files and figured, why the hell not. And I took a look through it again for the first time in a long while.

So if you're in a particularly vindictive and/or downcast state of mind as well, particularly with course selection looming over our heads... I decided to share some of these, because I think we should all take the time out of our lives once in a while to step back, look at ourselves, look at the world, and just try and tilt our heads a bit and see things from a different perspective. These quotes are like my life philosophies of sorts, so you get a bit of a peek into what goes through my head on a daily basis as well. (If, on the other hand, you find these corny and hilarious, that's okay too. I don't mind being corny and hilarious; on the contrary, these kinds of things are probably one of the best ways to cheer myself up, however lame that sounds. Even though this post is meant to be one of the more serious and contemplative on this blog (granted, that's not saying much considering what I usually dump on here), it's fine if you find a bit (or a lot) of humour in some of these. Or all of them. x3)



"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never get hurt, sing like no one is listening, and live like it's heaven on earth."

"If there exists no possibility of failure, then victory is meaningless."

"I keep on thinking things will never change
That things will always remain the same
But when we leave this year, we won’t be coming back
No more hanging out ‘cause we’re on a different track
As we go on, we’ll remember
All the times we had together
And as our lives change, from whatever
We’ll all still be friends forever."

"I want to be remembered as the girl who always smiles even when her heart is broken, who could always brighten up a day even if she couldn't brighten her own."

"When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a hundred reasons to smile."

"Sometimes you just want to put other people's happiness before yours, because you love them, because they deserve it. Sometimes you want to go out of your way for other people just because you know that it's important that they get a chance to smile once in a while."

"Hugging is the ideal gift. Great for any occasion, fun to give and receive, shows you care, comes with its own wrapping and, of course, is fully returnable. Hugging is practically perfect. No batteries to wear out, inflation-proof, nonfattening, no monthly payments, theft-proof and nontaxable."

"We’re all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutual weirdness and call it love."

"If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what other people say you cannot do."

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

"He who hesitates is lost. We can't pretend we haven't been told. We've all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to seize the day. Still, sometimes we have to see for ourselves. We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore, until we finally understand for ourselves what Benjamin Franklin meant. That knowing is better than wondering. That waking is better than sleeping. And that even the biggest failure, even the worst, most intractable mistake beats the hell out of never trying."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you. Just so you know.


Mmm, feel all the angst coming out in these recent days...xD We're a weird bunch, we are.

FANGZ said...

Is it odd that I feel no anxiety anymore? I have gone through this "university-parents-marks" phase, or at least I'm temporary out of it. I'm more relaxed now. Life will come as it does. No use worrying about tomorrow, especially if its something out of your control anyways.

Don't worry. It'll all be alright. Things will work out. They always do.

 
&. borders of reality - Blogger Templates by Templates para novo blogger